Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course
In accordance with the Firearms Act, a new firearms safety course focusing on restricted firearms (primarily handguns) was developed and implemented on February 1, 1999. The legislation stipulates that individuals wishing to acquire restricted and/or prohibited firearms must take the CRFSC and pass the tests.
Topics covered in the CRFSC include:
- the evolution of firearms, major parts, types and actions
- basic firearms safety practices
- operating handgun actions
- safe handling and carrying procedures
- firing techniques and procedures for handguns
- care of restricted firearms
- responsibilities of the firearm owner / user
- safe storage, display, transportation and handling of restricted firearms
Students may participate as young as 12 years of age but must be age 18 for testing purposes.
Fees and Duration
The CFSC is a pre-requisite to the completion of this course.
If the CRFSC is taken within 30 days of having taken the CFSC, the CRFSC will be 6 hours in length. The cost will be a maximum of $130.00 ($110.00 for the course with practical and written examinations and $20 for the manual).
If the CRFSC is not taken within 30 days of the CFSC, the course is 10 hours at a maximum of $170.00 ($150.00 for the course with practical and written examinations and $20.00 for the manual).
The manual used for the CRFSC is the same one used for the CFSC.
- CRFSC course fee (within 30 days of CFSC): $110.00
- CRFSC course fee: $150.00
- Manual: $20.00